Gratuitous picture of lush grassy trails
“That’s a lot of K’s”
There it was again, that awkward moment when the fact that I’ve
run an ultramarathon comes up in conversation. Yes, I ran 50k. Yes that is literally 10
TIMES farther than a 5k. Yes, I’m planning to do it again. It’s a weird conversation to engage in
actually. I regularly interact with
people for whom finishing a 5K without walking is a major goal and when I hear
of their success, I am genuinely happy for them. Somehow however, the conversation eventually turns to if I’ve
run any 5Ks or other races. It usually
goes something like this:
“Have you run any races?” asks the new acquaintance. We’ve just bonded by being runners. A new
running friend!
“Yeah, but I’ve only run in a handful of events,” I respond
while hoping this doesn’t go the way it normally does. The statement is true, I’ve participated in
exactly 5 organized races.
“Oh cool, what was the longest one you did?”, my new
runner-friend asks expectantly.
“I ran a 50k last
year” I respond. Yep, this is going downhill fast.
“Oh, 50k.... how far is that?”
“It’s 31 miles.”
“Wow, that’s longer than a marathon right? I could never do that, that’s crazy”
So it goes, with remarkable predictability. I usually offer
some vague comment about how yeah, it’s a long way and shift the conversation
to something else. Sometimes I’ll try to
make them feel better by telling them that I’d prefer to run 50K than 5K
because a 5K is so painful. (This is really true – a 50K is hard, but it’s
mostly an eating and drinking competition with some scenery thrown in. A 5k race is a lactic acid firestorm from
hell. Before my 50K I was excited.
Before every 5K I’ve run I felt lightheaded and nauseated from anxiety)
Goodbye running friend. Unless they ask, I never tell them the truly crazy
part. It was all off-road and on
trails with hills and rocks and roots and mud and treacherous footing. I never mention I only really started
training to run in March, only 6 months before the event. I never talk about how on race day I
executed my plan perfectly and crushed my goal time by over 40 minutes. I sure as heck don't discuss that I'm going back to do it again, with the goal of lowering my time by over an hour.
Maybe I should. Maybe I ought to tell them all of that and
more.
Because the only really crazy thing in the above
conversation is the line “I could never do that”.
Today marks 5 months since my father passed and the pain is still searing and sharp. When I’m missing him I focus on the good
memories and the valuable lessons he taught me. One of the better lessons he shared is that
life isn’t fair. As he put it, everyone
is dealt a different hand in life. It seems odd that a man whom I never knew to
play cards would use playing cards as an analogy, but his point was simply
this:
Not everyone has the same gifts and talents. Everyone has their own struggles and demons
to contend with. There is no point in
getting worked up over what someone else has in terms of natural gifts, you
have to put your energy into the gifts you have and the things you can control.
When it comes to
running or other athletic events, I am
woefully average. The fictitious person
above would probably disagree, but all of my life experiences point to me being
neither the fastest or slowest, strongest or weakest, or the most or the least
coordinated person in a given athletic endeavor. That doesn't mean I haven’t been successful
however. Following my father’s advice,
I’ve always put my energy into the things I can control: training and
effort. In high school I played
varsity basketball and I would practice free throws in the winter even if it
meant I had to shovel the driveway. I
spent an entire summer improving my vertical jump, even on the days when I
would also be working 10 hours on the farm.
As a runner, I’m particularly disadvantaged. I have a body that can gain weight just
sniffing a donut. I have asthma. I’m tall and heavy, meaning my body is more
susceptible to injury. I also have
allergies to most of the outside environment, making it hard to breathe for
most of the spring and summer. My
maximum heart rate is EXACTLY what that stupid generic Max HR=220-AGE formula
predicts. In terms of physical gifts, I am woefully average or worse in all
things except desire. I want to succeed at running ultra marathons and I’m
willing to work my ass off for it; I’m not willing to let self-imposed
limitations stand in my way. Regardless
of what my physical gifts are, the thing I can control is my effort.
I remember watching some inspirational videos on YouTube a
while back and there was a line that really resonated with me. “When you want to be successful more than you
want to sleep, then you can be successful.”
I’m not sure why I want to run
ultra marathons, but I know without a shadow of doubt that I do. Instead of saying “I could never do that”, I
take my limited physical gifts and go to work.
I research training methods. I sought out a training partner. I am conscious about what I eat. I put “I could never do that” in the closet
with the other excuses of “I’m tired”, “I don’t have time”, or “That’s too far
for me”.
The thing I really hate about the above conversation is that
the person I’m talking to is often left feeling somewhat deflated and it’s
clear they feel like their accomplishment doesn’t amount to much. That’s
nonsense. Everyone has a different set
of cards to play, and if you’re playing yours as best you can, then you ought
to be damn proud of your accomplishment.
If you want to run an ultramarathon, you can. It’s not much further than a marathon
really.
No comments:
Post a Comment